Agriculture and Adventure are a big part of everyday life in New Zealand. Irish people can now experience and enjoy all that New Zealand has to offer through this programme. If you’re aged between 18 and 30, you can live and travel anywhere in New Zealand for one year and have a job related to your agricultural career to get to know the real New Zealand.
Young people can experience and enjoy the thrills of living, working and playing among the varied landscapes of New Zealand through the Rural Exchange New Zealand programme (RENZ). RENZ is a NZ Government-approved work exchange scheme which allows young Irish people between 18 to 30 years old to work in agriculture-related activities in New Zealand for up to 12 months.
New Zealand’s economy is based largely on agriculture and the farmers are renowned for their innovative and productive farming methods. There are opportunities through Equipeople to work on modern dairy farms (herd sizes average 600, but some farms milk more than 2000 cows), sheep and cattle farms, cropping farms, plant nurseries, landscaping and vineyards.
As part of the exchange programme, visitors have the support and backing of our partner in New Zealand, RENZ who have been arranging placements for young people for over 12 years.
Type of Placements
- Agriculture: Dairy – Beef – Sheep – Pigs – Field crops and Machinery – Mixed Farming
- Horticulture: Fruit – Vegetables – Landscaping – Cut Flowers – Plant Nursery
- Agri-Home: Working in the home and around the farm
- Oenology – Wine: Winery placements coincide with the New Zealand grape harvest which commences around February – April.
- Equine: Placements are rare but can be throughout the year, on various properties from eventing yards to stud farms to racing stables.
Dairy placements commence mid-July-August; other livestock, cropping and horticulture placements commence in the August-October period. RENZ is sometimes able to accommodate trainees wishing to commence a work placement at a time other than these particular dates.
Other rural placements can sometimes be offered.
Please also note…
- Some farms are isolated and are long way from major cities
- Placements are available in all aspects of the agricultural industry and in all areas of New Zealand. At no stage can RENZ guarantee to place you in a certain area or with a certain job but they will at all times try and match you with a suitable position.
- Placements are normally for 6-12 months and allow time for some travelling.
- All employers (called hosts on the programme) provide accommodation and at least NZ$700 per month for working with horses and NZ$1200 for agricultural workers with some employers paying more.
- At the moment we have some very good positions available with some of the leading farms in New Zealand. Whatever your experience we can provide a position for you.
- RENZ reserves the right to change placements after the issue of the work visa should it become necessary for any reason such us adverse weather or business climate or a change in personal circumstances affecting a host’s ability to host you.
Applicants MUST meet the following requirements:
- Be single and between the ages of 18 and 30
- Have a least one year’s practical experience within the industry they wish to be placed
- Have a valid international driver’s licence (easily obtainable from the AA in Dublin)
- Be free of any criminal record
- Be covered by medical insurance
- Be in good health and not in possession of or using any drugs other than those recommended by a doctor
- Have a return air ticket
As this programme was devised to enable young people to see and experience a different culture, participants are considered to be trainees. Although the majority of people we send to New Zealand are very experienced and are going to a responsible position, for the purposes of the visa they are known as trainees. RENZ trainees get to meet like-minded people from different parts of the world, and these contacts often become life-long friends. Trainees get together at organised events, and are encouraged to socialise during their placements.
Participant should also
- Be mature, flexible, open-minded, committed and willing to make adjustments.
- Be able to develop a stable relationship with a host family and fellow workers and become part of a working team.
- Be polite, conscientious, courteous and avoid cultural, political and economic value comparisons that might lead to conflict with hosts.
- Expect to work long hours at certain peak times in the season. Farming in New Zealand can be labour intensive.
- Be willing to try new experiences and participate in activities.
- RENZ administration fee NZ$1,195
- Equipeople’s fees are €391.00 incl. VAT (which includes a non-refundable deposit of €91.00 which must be paid on application).
- You will also need to budget for a return airfare to New Zealand
- Travel and Health Insurance (It is a mandatory requirement that all applicants hold comprehensive travel insurance which meets the minimum requirements set by the program, for the entire length of their stay on the programme in New Zealand).
- Airport meeting
- Visa processing and support
- RENZ assistance and general support
What’ Not Included?
- Visa fee for the NZ Embassy in London (approx. £125)
- Travel and Heath Insurance (we can help arrange insurance cover that meets the minimum requirements set by the programme)
For more information on the Visa and Application Process for New Zealand click here