Based on the 6,000 hectare Kwantu Game Reserve, this is your chance to take part in a truly African experience whilst making a difference to the local wildlife and environment. Also a five star resort, Kwantu offers great facilities to its guests including The famed African Big 5 out in the wild; a predator educational and rehabilitation centre which houses endangered and orphaned predators such as the rare Bengal tigers, white lions and cheetahs; an Elephant Sanctuary; Reptile Centre; Safari Walks; Touch farm; herb garden which grows organic herbs and luxury accommodation with excellent amenities.
Please note this location is an alcohol free site.
Participate in our:
- 8 week Game Ranger course
- Wildlife and Conservation Volunteer Programme
Contact us directly for all booking details.
Combine volunteering with a 6 night sightseeing tour on South Africa’s beautiful and famous Garden Route, travelling from Port Elisabeth to Cape Town taking in Table Mountain.
Along with a group of other international volunteers, you will be involved in activities such as lion tracking and monitoring, game drives, predator interaction and caring, removal of alien vegetation in and around the reserve, tree planning and landscaping, fauna and flora work in the nursery, wilderness trail walks and patrols, working in the elephant sanctuary, fence patrol, game counts, game captures and school feeding schemes. You will live in shared dorms and benefit from indoor and outdoor coordinators, promising you a comfortable stay. On weekends you will be sent out for excursions for which you will be provided with accommodation and transport to and from your destination.
This volunteer work is not to be underestimated; it is your opportunity to get involved in the game reserve management working alongside top conservationists and wildlife including Africa’s Big Five species whilst living on the stunning Kwantu Game Reserve.
Following your volunteering at Kwantu Game Reserve you will be embarking on your next adventure. Leaving from Port Elizabeth where you will gain some insight into Apartheid in the Red Location Museum, visit the local oceanarium, take to the beach or take a township tour; you will travel on to Jeffrey’s Bay, the surfing mecca of South Africa; visit one of the highest bridges in the world (with of course one of the highest bungee jumps) in Tsitsikamma, as well as the National Park; see the Knysna Quays and Knysna Heads by boat; visit the Cango Caves in Oudtshoorn and the Crocodile Ranch and end up in Cape Town where you will have the chance to see Table Mountain or Cape Point. There will be more opportunities to have adventures along the way including ostrich riding, surf lessons or horse riding, rafting activities, zip line tours, speed boat rides and a lot more (certain activities may incur additional costs). There will be plenty of opportunity to relax, shop and enjoy some of the nightlife the towns have to offer.
What you need to know
Though you will get the chance to work with the wildlife and animal living on the game reserve, you must be prepared to work in all areas of the volunteer program. This means on both the land management and animal management plans. The Community Outreach Programme involves volunteers assisting at a local rural farm by providing food prepared by the reserve’s chefs, if you want to get involved with this, you need to let us know in advance as places are limited and are on a first-come-first-serve basis. You will be required to wear the Kwantu uniform at all times when volunteering and to abide by the rules that will be set forward to you upon arrival. Be sure to check with Kwantu coordinators what activities are included in your sightseeing tour to avoid any unwanted additional charges.
- Volunteering at Kwantu on a full board basis including:
- Scheduled airport transfers from Port Elizabeth
- Full training and orientation upon arrival
- A Kwantu cap
- A Kwantu T-shirt
- Luxury Dorm Accommodation
- All Meals and beverages with meals whilst at Kwantu
- Option Weekend Excursions (transport and accommodation only)
- Use of the various facilities such as swimming pool, sporting facilities and entertainment room
- 6 nights along the Garden Route on a Bed and Breakfast basis
- Transport from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town
- Visit to the Red Location Museum in Port Elizabeth
- Surf lesson OR horse ride in Jeffrey’s Bay (weather dependent)
- Entrance to Tsitsikamma National Park
- Boat ride along the Knysna Heads
- Visit to the Oudtshoorn Crocodile Ranch
- Cable cart ride to Table Mountain OR Trip to Cape Point OR Visit to Robben Island (weather dependent)
- Last supper as a group in Cape Town
What’s Not Included?
- Travel and health insurance
- Visa costs
- Local transport and spending money
- Vaccinations if required