Equipeople in conjunction with our partner agencies in the USA is offering an exchange programme between Ireland and America. This is your opportunity to gain invaluable work experience whilst immersing yourself in the American culture. With a wide variety of training programs, there is something for everyone. Filled with travel and adventure, new knowledge and lifelong friends, this is your chance to get real, hands-on experiences and get to know the REAL USA!
From the bright lights of Hollywood to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, from Miami’s trendy beaches to the excitement of New York City! Whatever your travel dreams, USA is a kaleidoscope of cultures, cuisines, landscapes, history and adventures, so take this opportunity to explore everything it has to offer!
Type of Placements
- Agriculture: Field Crops, Custom Harvesting, Dairy and Swine, Sheep, Cattle Ranch, Apiculture, Citrus
- Horticulture: Potted Plants, Vegetables, Landscaping, Tree Nursery
- Wine Programmes: Cellar Worker (Enology), Lab Assistant (Enology), Viticulture
- Equine: Show Jumping facilities, Dressage Yards, Stud Farms, Eventing Yards, TB Pre-Training Yards, Equine Veterinary Hospitals, Western Equine
Applicants MUST meet the following requirements:
- Be single and between the ages of 18 and 30
- Be currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institute outside of the United States OR graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to their exchange visitor program start date (INTERN PROGRAM)
- Have a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and have completed at least one year of related work experience in their occupational field outside the United States OR five years of work experience outside the United States in their occupational field. (TRAINEE PROGRAM)
- Have a valid international driver’s licence (easily obtainable from the AA in Dublin)
- Be free of any criminal record
- Be covered by medical insurance (included in WISE package)
- Be in good health and not in possession of or using any drugs other than those recommended by a doctor
- Have a return air ticket
As this programme was devised to enable young people to see and experience a different culture, participants are considered to be trainees. Although many of the people we send to America are very experienced and are going to a responsible position, for the purposes of the visa they are known as trainees.
Participant should also:
- Be mature, flexible, open-minded, committed and willing to make adjustments.
- Be able to develop a stable relationship with a host family and fellow workers and become part of a working team.
- Be polite, conscientious, courteous and avoid cultural political and economic value comparisons that might lead to conflict with hosts.
- Expect to work long hours at certain peak times in the season. Farming in The United States can be labour intensive.
- Be willing to try new experiences and participate in activities.
- Depending on the programme – Partner Agency fees ranging from $550 to $2,279.40 – . This will cover the placement, SEVIS fee and 12 months Insurance.
- Equipeople’s fees are €391.00 including VAT, which includes a non-refundable deposit of €91.00.
- You will also need to budget for airfare to and from the States and fees for the American Embassy.
- Visa processing and support
- Health Insurance for 12 months
- SEVIS fee
- Support in the USA
What’s Not Included?
- Fees for the American Embassy (approx. $160)
For more information on the Visa and Application Process for the USA click here